SEPTEMBER SHOW PROSPECTUS
FOOD: THE UNLIMITED PALATE
Registration online for entries: Monday September 2nd
Take-in: September 10th, 10AM to 1PM
Opening Reception: Friday Sept 13th, 5PM to 7PM
Show Dates: September 13th– November 4th
Red House Hours: Weekdays and Saturday, 10AM-5PM, Sundays, 10AM-3PM
Pick Up Date: November 5th,10AM – 1PM
Curators: Marilyn Place Assisted by Barbara Varnedoe
This show is about food – what it is, where it comes from, how we use it, how it affects us as an individual, as a family and as a community. Food is more than what sustains us; it also connects us to others and affects us emotionally. Some of us eat to live; some of us live to eat. The parameters are wide so use your imagination. Land, animals, people, plants, buildings or the environment might inspire your artwork. You could work with the sources of food, the preparation and presentation of food, the rituals surrounding food, or the many environments or events that involve food. You could represent emotions and feelings tied to food. Food is everywhere in our lives and in our history - this subject is ripe for interpretation and celebration!
Sources of Inspiration:
Netflix series “Salt Fat Acid Heat”. Netflix series “Cooked”
We are partnering with ASAP (Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project) whose mission is to help local farms thrive, link farmers to markets and supporters, and build healthy communities through connections to local food. ASAP will receive 20% of the gallery sales from the show. ASAP will be promoting the show (and the league) through their substantial marketing machine (they’re very good at it) and will reach a wide audience. To make this collaboration a success, we encourage all artwork to be for sale.
ASAP’s website is: https://asapconnections.org/
This show’s theme will be a great venue for 3d entries so we hope to see plenty of those as well as the 2d kind. The audience we are targeting with this show will have a wide range of interests. Some will want small, affordable art (under $100) and some will want larger pieces. We encourage functional art (such as dinner ware, napkins, vessels, jewelry) as well as non-functional art. Entries can include a “series” that may be sold as a unit or individually. All mediums are welcomed! Collage, sculpture, assemblage, clay, metal, glass, fiber, wood, oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, pencil, photography, mixed media, encaustic, etc. Let your creativity flow!
PLEASE CHECK WITH SHOW COORDINATORS FOR ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ABOUT THIS SHOW.
Marilyn Place can be reached at 615-347-6030 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barbara Varnedoecan be reached at 404-626-3069 or at email@example.com.
1. Eligible Art Work:Original work in any style and in all media is allowed in this show. Please do not enter a piece that has been in a previous SVFAL Red House show. All dimensional artwork, in media such as oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, pencil, photography, mixed media, encaustic, collage, sculpture, assemblage, clay, metal, glass, fiber, and wood are welcomed! Acceptance will be at the discretion of the committee receiving the work.
2. Hand-deliver entriesto the Red House Gallery, 310 West State Street, Black Mountain, NC (beside the Monte Vista Hotel) on Tuesday, September 10th, between 10am and 1pm.
***** No late entries will be accepted!
3. Entry Fee:Up to two entries may be submitted per member with an entry fee of $15 for one; $25 for two. *** One entry may include a series that can be sold as a unit or individually. If a series is entered, each individual piece must be labeled with price and name of artist. Make sure it’s legible. The entry label should reflect the price for the whole unit and/or price per piece. For example: $25 Each, 3 for $70, 6 for $135
Note: This show is open to SVFAL Members ONLY.
4. Size Limits: Regular entries: Wall Artwork must be no larger than 42” wide including frame and must be ready to hang. No easel frames! NO EXCEPTIONS.
5. Acceptable Artwork:All artwork MUST BE DRY, appropriately framed or museum wrapped, and ready for hanging with wire. No saw-toothed hooks, brackets, table frames, and exposed glass edges are allowed. All three dimensional artwork must be ready for hanging or be able to stand alone on a pedestal or table. All artwork must be labeled with information attached to back. Please use the forms provided with this prospectus. Please take advantage of our easy online registration prior to entry day or fill out forms before you arrive. To register online beginning Monday, September 2nd click on: https://www.svfalarts.org/exhibit-entry-fees/red-house-exhibition-entry-fee.
6. Liability:While every precaution will be taken to avoid damages, all artists who enter this show agree that the SVFAL Red House Studios & Gallery and its members will not be held responsible for any damage or loss of artwork.
NOTE: Please complete the Liability Waiver Form that is located on the last page of this prospectus directly under the First Entry Form. You must sign/date it and turn in this form on the day of entry. You need only sign/date ONE Liability Form.
7.Important: SVFAL Members submitting artwork must work one shift in the Gallery for each month the show is hanging, regardless of number of pieces submitted.By sitting at the desk, each member, in volunteering their time, allows The Red House Studios and Gallery to remain operational during our advertised hours. Please sign up for sitting by going online, click on: https://www.svfalarts.org/schedule-desk-sitting. Thank you in advance!
8. All accepted entries will be on display at The Red House Gallery, and must hang until end of show, unless purchased. You will be notified if you need to bring in a replacement.
9. Artwork Pick-Up: Tuesday Nov 5th, 10AM –1PM. Artwork MUST BE SIGNED OUT of the Gallery Log Book when it is picked up. (We are unable to provide storage - Sorry, no exceptions).
NOTE: If you cannot make it for the take in date, or have any questions, please contact the coordinators:. Marilyn Placecan be reached at 615-347-6030or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Barbara Varnedoecan be reached at 404-626-3069 or at email@example.com
For Each Entry:Please attach ENTRY FORM (below) to back of artwork & submit when you enter it. IMPORTANT:SIGN AND TURN IN THE BLANKET LIABILITY FORM IF YOU HAVE NOT PREVIOUSLY DONE SO.
Please complete these forms before you come to the Red House to enter your artwork.
BLANKET LIABILITY WAIVER
Please print out and cut out this Liability Waiver, fill it out, and hand it in with your piece, if you have not already signed the BLANKET LIABILITY WAIVER covering all exhibits.
The Swannanoa Valley Fine Arts League (SVFAL) provides numerous opportunities for its members to exhibit and sell their art in shows at various venues. There is inherent risk in the public display of art. By submitting my art to SVFAL shows, I agree to hold the SVFAL and the venues blameless for any damage to, or loss of, my work.
2019 DATES FOR CHRISTMOUNT
2nd change out date: New Date! - March 18th 2019, Monday from 10 am - 12 noon
Take down for summer: June 12th, Wednesday from 10 am - 12 noon
1st change out date of the year: August 22nd from 10 am - 12 noon
Please be aware that the change out dates are not on Tuesdays to avoid possible conflict with a show take in at the Red House.
Also, all members are welcome to show their work. There is no fee, but the Red House does charge 30% commission. We also hang our own work and bring our own tags with our information on them to hang next to the painting.
Christmount is on route 9 past Cheshire on the left. There is a sign at the entrance and the name of the road going into Christmount is Fern Way. The building on the hill on the left is the conference center and hotel where we hang our work. A map can be found on Chrismount’s web page:- https://www.christmount.org/contact-us
If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Clausen at firstname.lastname@example.org