The Swannanoa Valley Fine Arts League presents
Red House Studios & Gallery Holiday Art Show 2019
Registration online for entries: Begins on Tuesday, October 29th
Take-in: Tuesday, November 5th, from 10AM - 1PM
Opening Reception: Friday, November 8th, 5PM to 7PM
Show Dates: November 8th – December 29th
Pick Up Date: Monday, December 30th, 10AM – 1PM
Red House Hours: Weekdays and Saturday, 10AM-5PM, Sundays, 10AM-3PM
Curators: Rebecca Gottesman & Ruth Duckworth
Arts and handcrafted gifts for the holidays. Inspired by living in the mountains.
Let the mountain spirit move and energize you!
This show is about anything relating to mountain music: the sounds of our special environment that add infinite joy to the season and our daily lives (musicians, dancing, landscaping, birds, instruments, etc...).
How you interpret that is up to you! We encourage you to be arty and think outside of the box.
This holiday exhibition showcases 2D & 3D artwork, gifts, and ornaments, by SVFAL members only! Non-functional and functional work is acceptable for this holiday show. All mediums are welcomed: painting in all mediums, photography, collage, mixed media, sculpture, assemblage, clay, metal, glass, fiber, wood, etc. Let your creativity flow!
Ornaments: We will also have three creative holiday trees in the gallery for exhibiting the artful ornaments. Generally, ornaments should follow the Music Rhythms theme but all will be accepted.
We will also accept small painted images on 4” x 4” wrapped canvas set up to hang on a tree. We hope your ornaments will express your artistic flair and not traditional holiday themes. Many people purchase and collect “ornaments” as small art items that they leave out all year. The more varied and “arty” our trees look, the more captivating they will be!
Each ornament must be individually and securely tagged with a legible first name initial, last name, and price. (For example: r. nyman, $15.)
This show will be publicized as a holiday art and gift show that is shopper friendly ☺
PLEASE CHECK WITH SHOW COORDINATORS FOR ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ABOUT THIS SHOW.
Rebecca Gottesman can be reached at 802-356-6200 or at email@example.com.
Ruth Duckworth can be reached at 828-775-4974 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Eligible Art Work: Original work in any style and in all media is allowed in this show. Please do not enter artwork that has been in a previous SVFAL Red House show.
2. Hand-deliver entries to the Red House Gallery, 310 West State Street, Black Mountain, NC (beside the Monte Vista Hotel) on Tuesday, November 5th, between 10am and 1pm.
***** No late entries will be accepted!
3. Entry Fee: Up to two entries may be submitted per member with an entry fee of $15 for one; $25 for two.
*** One entry may include a series that can be sold as a unit or individually. If a series is entered, each individual piece must be
labeled with price and name of artist. Make sure it’s legible. The entry label should reflect the price for the whole unit and/or price per piece. For example: $25 each, 3 for $70, 6 for $135.
4. Red House Gallery takes 20% commission on all sales.
5. Size limitation: Wall art is not to exceed 42” wide, including the frame. All work must be ready to hang. No easel frames! NO EXCEPTIONS!
6. Small Series: We will display small series artwork for holiday purchases. The artwork measurements on the outside can be no larger than 8” x 10” or 8” x 8” and that includes any frame. That means actual artwork that has frames, should be approximately 5” x 7”, 5” or 6” squared, or may be even smaller. The work should relate to the theme and we ask that the selling price be less than $100.
7. All artwork MUST BE DRY, appropriately framed or museum wrapped, and ready for hanging with wire. No saw-toothed hooks, brackets, table frames, and exposed glass edges are allowed.
8. All three-dimensional artwork must be ready for hanging or be able to stand alone on a pedestal. All artwork must be labeled with information attached to the back. Please use the forms provided with this prospectus.
9. Please take advantage of our easy online registration prior to entry day or fill out forms before you arrive. To register online beginning on October 29th, click on: https://www.svfalarts.org/exhibit-entry-fees/red- house-exhibition-entry-fee.
10. Liability: While every precaution will be taken to avoid damages, all artists who enter this show agree that the SVFAL Red House Studios & Gallery and its members will not be held responsible for any damage or loss of artwork. NOTE: Please complete the Liability Waiver Form that is located on the last page of this prospectus just above the First Entry Form. You must sign/date it and turn it in on the day of entry. You need to only sign/date ONE Liability Form.
11. Important: SVFAL Members displaying artwork must work one shift in the Gallery for each month the show is hanging, regardless of the
number of pieces submitted. By sitting at the desk, each member, in volunteering their time, allows The Red House Studios and Gallery to remain operational during our advertised hours. Please sign up for sitting by going online and clicking on: https://www.svfalarts.org/schedule-desk-sitting. Thank you in advance!
12. All accepted entries will be on display at The Red House Gallery, and must hang until end of show, unless purchased. You will be notified if you need to bring in a replacement.
13. Artwork Pick-Up: Monday, December 30th, from 10am - 1pm. Artwork MUST BE SIGNED OUT of the Gallery Log Book when it is picked up. (We are unable to provide storage. Sorry, no exceptions.)For Each Entry: Please attach ENTRY FORM (below) to back of artwork & submit when you enter it.
NOTE: If you cannot make it to the take-in date or have any other questions, please contact the coordinators:
Rebecca Gottesman can be reached at 802-356-6200 or email@example.com.
Ruth Duckworth can be reached at 828-775-4974 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Each Entry: Please attach ENTRY FORM (below) to back of artwork & submit when you enter it.
IMPORTANT: SIGN AND TURN IN THE BLANKET LIABILITY FORM IF YOU HAVE NOT PREVIOUSLY DONE SO.
Please complete these forms before you come to the Red House to enter your artwork.
RED HOUSE BLANKET LIABILITY WAIVER
Please print out and cut out this Liability Waiver, fill it out, and hand it in with your piece, if you have not already signed the BLANKET LIABILITY WAIVER covering all exhibits.
The Swannanoa Valley Fine Arts League (SVFAL) provides numerous opportunities for its members to exhibit and sell their art in shows at various venues. There is inherent risk in the public display of art. By submitting my art to SVFAL shows, I agree to hold the SVFAL and the venues blameless for any damage to, or loss of, my work.
RED HOUSE GALLERY ENTRY FORM MOUNTAIN RHYTHMS HOLIDAY ART SHOW 2019
SMALL SERIES ITEM ENTRY (attach to each entry)
# OF PIECES_______________________
2019 DATES FOR CHRISTMOUNT
2nd change out date: New Date! - March 18th 2019, Monday from 10 am - 12 noon
Take down for summer: June 12th, Wednesday from 10 am - 12 noon
1st change out date of the year: August 22nd from 10 am - 12 noon
Please be aware that the change out dates are not on Tuesdays to avoid possible conflict with a show take in at the Red House.
Also, all members are welcome to show their work. There is no fee, but the Red House does charge 30% commission. We also hang our own work and bring our own tags with our information on them to hang next to the painting.
Christmount is on route 9 past Cheshire on the left. There is a sign at the entrance and the name of the road going into Christmount is Fern Way. The building on the hill on the left is the conference center and hotel where we hang our work. A map can be found on Chrismount’s web page:- https://www.christmount.org/contact-us
If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Clausen at email@example.com