Swannanoa Valley Fine Arts League PROSPECTUS
THE ART OF PASSION
Take-in: Tuesday, February 5th, 10am -1pm
Show Dates: February 8th – March 12th
Opening Reception: Friday, February 8th, 5-7pm
Pick Up Dates: Tuesday, March 12th, 10am-1pm
Hours: Weekdays and Saturday, 10am- 5pm, Sundays 10am- 3pm
Valentines Day will be here before we know it. This is the opportune time to express your passions through your art. Passion is a powerful and compelling emotion, desire, or feeling. Show us what you crave, covet, or aspire to achieve. There is beauty in passion and loving moments. Express that love for self, others, animals, interests, quests, labors, or diversions.
This exhibit showcases 2-D, 3-D, small series, and original Valentine cards. All mediums are welcomed! Collage, sculpture, assemblage, clay, metal, glass, fiber, wood, oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, pencil, photography, mixed media, encaustic, etc. Let your creativity flow!
We would like to encourage you to consider submitting one large piece and then a series of smaller pieces, no more than 3. The series can be a companion or complimentary to your larger piece. Our idea is to incorporate all price points in our gallery to boost sales. *Check out the picture on our website for an example.
Original, handcrafted Valentine cards and cards expressing love for all occasions will have their own special display. Submission is limited to 6 cards. Card dimensions should not exceed 7 inches in any direction. All cards must be accompanied by an envelope and packaged by the artist in crystal clear (crispy) polypropylene sleeves that seal. The presentation needs to be professional. One source for bags is clearbags.com. Cards must be priced at a minimum of $5.00.
This show will be publicized as a holiday art show that is shopper friendly!
There will NOT be a small wall this showing.
PLEASE CHECK WITH SHOW COORDINATORS FOR ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ABOUT THIS SHOW. Andrea Stutesman can be reached at 828-707-4955 or email@example.com. Rhanna Nyman is at The Red House from 9:30-5:00 Monday-Friday.
1. Eligible Art Work: Original work in any style and in all media is allowed in this show. Up to two pieces may be entered. Please do not enter a piece that has been in a previous SVFAL Red House show. All dimensional artwork, in media such as oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, pencil, photography, mixed media, encaustic, collage, sculpture, assemblage, clay, metal, glass, fiber, and wood are welcomed! Acceptance will be at the discretion of the committee receiving the work.
We will NOT have a “small wall”. In place of the small wall work, we request that you consider submitting a series of small pieces as your second piece. We request it be in keeping with the theme of THE ART OF PASSION. In may be a companion or complimentary piece to your larger piece.
Up to six (6), handcrafted, Valentines and/or expression of love cards may be submitted. Any medium of your choice is appropriate. They must include an envelope and be place in a clear polypropylene sleeve that closes. The Valentines will be exhibited in a special display. You may submit cards alone, along with up to two large pieces, or with one large piece and the series of small pieces.
2. Hand-deliver entries to the Red House Gallery, 310 West State Street, Black Mountain, NC (beside the Monte Vista Hotel) on Tuesday, February 5th, between 10am and 1pm.
*** No late entries will be accepted!
NOTE: If you cannot make it for the take in date, or have any questions, please contact the ANDREA STUTESMAN at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 828-707-4955.
3. Entry Fee: Up to two pieces may be submitted per member. If you submit one large piece, a small series alone or Valentine cards alone, the entry fee is $15. If you submit two large pieces, one large piece and one small series, one large piece and Valentine cards, or one small series and Valentine cards, the entry fee is $25.
*** If you submit two large pieces or one large and one small series, you may also submit up to 6 Valentines cards at no additional cost. There will every attempt to display all the Valentine cards, but depending on the number of Valentine cards that are entered, some cards may be held as back stock, and displayed as other cards sell. A 20% commission will be deducted on all work sold. Note: This show is open to SVFAL Members ONLY.
4. Size Limits: Regular entries: Wall Artwork must be no larger than 42” wide including frame. Artwork must be no smaller than 8” X 10” (outer frame size) and must be ready to hang. No easel frames! NO EXCEPTIONS.
5. Acceptable Artwork: All artwork MUST BE DRY, appropriately framed or museum wrapped, and ready for hanging with wire. No saw toothed hooks, brackets, table frames, and exposed glass edges are allowed. All three small series artwork must be ready for hanging or be able to stand alone on a pedestal. All artwork must be labeled with information attached to back. Please use the forms provided with this prospectus. Please take advantage of our easy online registration prior to entry day or fill out forms before you arrive. To register online beginning January 29th, click on: https://www.svfalarts.org/exhibit-entry-fees/red-house-exhibition-entry-fee.
6. Liability: While every precaution will be taken to avoid damages, all artists who enter this show agree that the SVFAL Red House Studios & Gallery and its members will not be held responsible for any damage or loss of artwork.
NOTE: Please complete the Liability Waiver Form that is located on the last page of this prospectus directly under the First Entry Form. You must sign/date it and turn in this form on the day of entry. You need only sign/date ONE Liability Form.
7. IMPORTANT: SVFAL Members submitting artwork must work one shift in the Gallery for each month the show is hanging, regardless of number of pieces submitted. By sitting at the desk, each member, in volunteering their time, allows The Red House Studios and Gallery to remain operational during our advertised hours. Please sign up for sitting by going online, click on: https://www.svfalarts.org/schedule-desk-sitting. Thank you in advance!
8. All accepted entries will be on display at The Red House Gallery, and must hang until end of show on Tuesday, March 12, unless purchased. You will be notified if you need to bring in a replacement.
9. Artwork Pick-Up: Tuesday, March 12th, 10 am-1 pm and Artwork MUST BE SIGNED OUT of the Gallery Log Book when it is picked up. (We are unable to provide storage - Sorry, no exceptions).
For Each Entry: Please attach ENTRY FORM (below) to back of artwork & submit when you enter it. IMPORTANT: IF YOU HAVE NOT PREVIOUSLY SIGN AND TURN IN THE BLANKET LIABILITY FORM PLEASE INCLUDE THE FORM WITH YOUR ENTRIES.
Please complete these forms before you come to the Red House to enter your artwork.
BLANKET LIABILITY WAIVER
Please print out and cut out this Liability Waiver, fill it out, and hand it in with your piece, if you have not already signed the BLANKET LIABILITY WAIVER covering all exhibits.
The Swannanoa Valley Fine Arts League (SVFAL) provides numerous opportunities for its members to exhibit and sell their art in shows at various venues. There is inherent risk in the public display of art. By submitting my art to SVFAL shows, I agree to hold the SVFAL and the venues blameless for any damage to, or loss of, my work.
SMALL SERIES ENTRY
MEDIUM_______________________________# of PIECES___________________
MEDIUM_______________________________# of PIECES__________________
*EACH CARD MUST BE INDIVIDUALLY & SECURELY TAGGED WITH A LEGIBLE FIRST NAME INITIAL, LAST NAME, AND PRICE. EX: R.Nyman, $5