Prospectus for The Swannanoa Valley Fine Arts League HOLIDAY SHOW
DIMENSIONS & The Artful Ornament
Take-in: Tuesday, November 6th, 10 am -1 pm
Show Dates: November 9th – December 31st
Opening Reception: Friday, November 9th, 5-7 pm
Pick Up Dates: Saturday, Dec. 29th, 10 am-5 pm and Sunday Dec. 30th, 1-4 pm
Hours: Weekdays and Saturday, 10 am-5 pm, Sundays 1pm-4pm
This exhibit showcases dimensional artwork and holiday ornaments!
We encourage 2-D entries to break the surface of the 2-D picture plane. 3-D entries may be sculptural pieces or small groups of 3-D items that can be displayed as a “series” (ex: A selection of hand-dyed scarves or ceramic mugs. While presented as a group, these items may be sold individually). Small wall items will be accepted and displayed next to artists larger pieces when possible – small items should follow the Dimensions theme.
We will also have three creative holiday trees in the gallery which will showcase artful ornaments! Generally, ornaments should follow the Dimensions theme. We will accept small painted images on 4x4” wrapped canvas set up to hang on a tree. We heartily encourage your ornament subjects to be a step aside from traditional holiday themes. Many people purchase and collect “ornaments” as small art items that they leave out all year. The more varied and “arty” our trees look, the more captivating they will be!
Non-functional and functional work is welcomed in Dimensions! All mediums are welcomed! Collage, sculpture, assemblage, clay, metal, glass, fiber, wood, oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, pencil, photography, mixed media, encaustic, etc. Let your creativity flow!
This show will be publicized as a holiday art show that is shopper friendly :-)
PLEASE CHECK WITH SHOW COORDINATORS FOR ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ABOUT THIS SHOW. Susan Hanning can be reached at 414-881-6869 or at email@example.com. Rhanna Nyman is at The Red House from 9:30-5:00 Monday-Friday.
1. Eligible Art Work: Original work in any style and in all media is allowed in this show. Please do not enter a piece that has been in a previous SVFAL Red House show. All dimensional artwork, in media such as oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, pencil, photography, mixed media, encaustic, collage, sculpture, assemblage, clay, metal, glass, fiber, and wood are welcomed! Acceptance will be at the discretion of the committee receiving the work. We will have a “small wall” and request it be in keeping with the theme of DIMENSIONS. Remember, artwork for the small wall should be a maximum of 8”x 10’’ or 8” square including frame. That means actual artwork that have frames, should be approximately 5”x 7”, 5” or 6” square, or smaller (depending on frame size) to ensure that frame does not exceed the maximum outer dimensions. Selling price should be less than $100.
2. Hand-deliver entries to the Red House Gallery, 310 West State Street, Black Mountain, NC (beside the Monte Vista Hotel) on Tuesday, November 6th, between 10am and 1pm.
***** No late entries will be accepted!
3. Entry Fee: Up to two pieces may be submitted per member with an entry fee of $15 for one; $25 for two. *** In addition, you may submit one small wall piece and a series of ornaments. Depending on the number of ornaments that are entered, some ornaments may be held as back stock, and displayed as other ornaments sell. A 20% commission will be deducted on all work sold. Note: This show is open to SVFAL Members ONLY.
4. Size Limits: Regular entries: Wall Artwork must be no larger than 42” wide including frame. Artwork must be no smaller than 8” X 10” (outer frame size) and must be ready to hang. No easel frames! NO EXCEPTIONS.
(Size limit for the small wall: Artwork no larger than 8” x 10” or 8” x 8”, including frame)
5. Acceptable Artwork: All artwork MUST BE DRY, appropriately framed or museum wrapped, and ready for hanging with wire. No saw toothed hooks, brackets, table frames, and exposed glass edges are allowed. All three dimensional artwork must be ready for hanging or be able to stand alone on a pedestal. All artwork must be labeled with information attached to back. Please use the forms provided with this prospectus. Please take advantage of our easy online registration prior to entry day or fill out forms before you arrive. To register online beginning October 29th click on: https://www.svfalarts.org/exhibit-entry-fees/red-house-exhibition-entry-fee.
6. Liability: While every precaution will be taken to avoid damages, all artists who enter this show agree that the SVFAL Red House Studios & Gallery and its members will not be held responsible for any damage or loss of artwork.
NOTE: Please complete the Liability Waiver Form that is located on the last page of this prospectus directly under the First Entry Form. You must sign/date it and turn in this form on the day of entry. You need only sign/date ONE Liability Form.
7. Important: SVFAL Members submitting artwork must work one shift in the Gallery for each month the show is hanging, regardless of number of pieces submitted. By sitting at the desk, each member, in volunteering their time, allows The Red House Studios and Gallery to remain operational during our advertised hours. Please sign up for sitting by going online, click on: https://www.svfalarts.org/schedule-desk-sitting. Thank you in advance!
8. All accepted entries will be on display at The Red House Gallery, and must hang until end of show, unless purchased. You will be notified if you need to bring in a replacement.
9. Artwork Pick-Up: Saturday, Dec. 29th, 10 am-5 pm and Sunday Dec. 30th, 1-4 pm Artwork MUST BE SIGNED OUT of the Gallery Log Book when it is picked up. (We are unable to provide storage - Sorry, no exceptions).
NOTE: If you cannot make it for the take in date, or have any questions, please contact the coordinators: SUSAN HANNING at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 414-881-6869. RHANNA NYMAN at email@example.com or call 828-215-4652.
For Each Entry: Please attach ENTRY FORM (below) to back of artwork & submit when you enter it. IMPORTANT: SIGN AND TURN IN THE BLANKET LIABILITY FORM IF YOU HAVE NOT PREVIOUSLY DONE SO.
Please complete these forms before you come to the Red House to enter your artwork.
BLANKET LIABILITY WAIVER
Please print out and cut out this Liability Waiver, fill it out, and hand it in with your piece, if you have not already signed the BLANKET LIABILITY WAIVER covering all exhibits.
The Swannanoa Valley Fine Arts League (SVFAL) provides numerous opportunities for its members to exhibit and sell their art in shows at various venues. There is inherent risk in the public display of art. By submitting my art to SVFAL shows, I agree to hold the SVFAL and the venues blameless for any damage to, or loss of, my work.
SMALL WALL ITEM ENTRY
MEDIUM_______________________________# of PIECES__________________
*EACH ORNAMENT MUST BE INDIVIDUALLY & SECURELY TAGGED WITH A LEGIBLE FIRST NAME INITIAL, LAST NAME, AND PRICE. EX: R.Nyman, $15