THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES MUST BE FOLLOWED WHEN SUBMITTING YOUR OWN IMAGE FILES
Images must have been professionally photographed, or photographed in a manner that results in professional quality images.
- Please submit images as JPEG’s in a 2 to 3 MB file size range, with maximum quality and resolution. Do not send PNG, Acrobat, or PDF files. Do not send zipped files. Do not upload them to Dropbox or another file sharing program. Send your images via email in multiple batches if necessary.
- Please make sure each file is named with your NAME and the TITLE (if there is one), MEDIUM, and DIMENSIONS of the artwork.
- Images must have been cleaned up/edited for SHARPNESS, SATURATION, CONTRAST and COLOR BALANCE. Any necessary touch up work must be completed . This basic editing is standard to digital photography. If you have images from a photographer that have not been cleaned up, please do not submit them. If you do not know whether or not they have been cleaned up – they most likely have not been. Most photographers charge an additional fee for this service. *It can take considerable time to establish appropriate edits for images, as each photographers preferred set up and subsequent edits varies. The time that is entailed in figuring this out for individual batches of images cannot be absorbed by the SVFAL website manager or our publicity director.
- Frames and mats should not be visible in images of 2-D work.
- 3-D work will look best on the website if it has been photographed against a white or light gray background. The backdrop of the website will be white. A black background will drive an images focal point to the outside shape of the image, because that outside shape will sit against a white background and that will be where the most contrast is.
- Images must be two years or less in age. Unless digital files are in a raw format, they can deteriorate. It is hard to tell how much deterioration has occurred by just viewing an image. *As files are transferred and edited deterioration can be accelerated. Images can begin to visibly break down, becoming hazed, spotted when enlarged, and lacking clarity. When the file size is converted for upload onto the website, the deterioration of older files can become apparent in a matter of months. As the maintenance of the SVFAL website is a volunteer activity, it is important for its upkeep to have high quality files.
- Do not submit images that were finalized for non-digital printing processes. Image files that have been edited for a non-digital printing process are different than files edited for digital applications.
- Images taken with a phone camera are not appropriate. Samsung recently came out with the best phone camera the market has seen – and it takes great images suitable for a vast array of internet applications. The digital files it creates are now equivalent to point and shoot digital cameras when they first came on the market – 15 plus years ago. While the image looks great, the flexibility of the file is still limited, and that impacts its effectiveness in terms of technical considerations for the website.
And one last note… if you are submitting images for the ARTIST SHOWCASE feel free to email 2-3 sample images before you take the time to email a full batch. The website manager will let you know that they are fine as quickly as possible. If you choose to email a full batch, and the first few that are downloaded are problematic, the downloads will stop and you will be notified. Once a problem is discovered, no further files will be checked – if you submit your own files it is your responsibility to make sure the files meet the above stated standards.
SUBMIT FILES ONLY DURING ANNOUNCED OPEN SUBMISSION PERIODS!
SUBMIT FILES FOR WEBSITE USE TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBMIT IMAGE FILES FOR PROMOTIONAL USE TO: email@example.com