OPEN STUDIO SESSIONS
PORTRAIT PAINTING & FIGURE DRAWING
These classes are OPEN STUDIO SESSIONS. There will be a live model, and there will be various poses in the figure drawing session, and a single pose in the portrait session. No instruction is provided – these sessions are designed to provide access to live model figurative art. Artists of all skill levels are invited to participate - all mediums are welcomed. *Please use only odor-free solvents in this venue.
There is a MODEL FEE of $10 per session - payable at session time with cash or by check.
Class size is limited to 10 artists due to the size of our studio. Please email to reserve a spot.
PORTRAIT PAINTING: Mondays from 1:00 - 4:00
Location – Upstairs in The Red House.
FIGURE DRAWING: Fridays from 10:00 - 1:00
Location – Upstairs in The Red House.
Fran Greenberg is SVFAL's champion of the beauty and importance of drawing. She has long been the sustaining force of our Life Drawing Sessions. To reserve a spot, or if you have a question, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
EXPERIMENTAL ART GROUP
DISCOVERY AMONGST KINDRED SPIRITS
This open group session is focused on being a sharing space. Regular attendees refer to it as a place where kindred spirits spend time creating together, while working on their own projects. This group operates based on the idea that creative experimentation in a supportive environment often stimulates an artist’s inspiration, and helps empower ideas as well as the successful acquisition and adaptation of new techniques. Water-media and mixed media collage have been recent avenues of exploration.
THURSDAYS from 12:00 – 3:00
Location – Downstairs: CLASSROOM 1 in The Red House.
All mediums are welcome.
For more information contact: email@example.com
ART CHAT GROUP
CONVERSATION & CONNECTION THROUGH ART
This group provides league members with an opportunity to talk about intriguing creative concepts. These casual discussions start with a written or visual prompt about art, which has been posted here a week before the monthly meeting. Reactions to the prompt direct the free flowing nature of the discussion. Moderation is limited to keeping the group focused. The intent of ART CHAT is to contemplate art in a large sense, and motivate one's own creative process in ways that are inspired by questioning and understanding.
1st WEDNESDAY of the Month from 4:00 - 6:00 - Next Chat: AUGUST 2nd
Location: Library or Downstairs Classroom of the Red House, depending on group attendance.
Beverages and light snack provided.
Feel free to just come and listen - this is a no pressure gathering!
AUGUST 2nd ART CHAT PROMPT
James Lord: "In some of your sculptures and paintings I find a great deal of feeling."
Response - Alberto Giacometti: "You may find it but I didn't put it there. It's completely in spite of me."
Is meaning the responsibility of the artist? Come share your thoughts!
MIXED MEDIA – EXPLORING AND DISCOVERING
What color will do for you and collage: With Mary Alice Braukman as instructor.
Join MARY ALICE BRAUKMAN for a 3-day adventure of risk taking and discovering what color can do for you and design. On AUGUST 8-10th, from 10:00-4:00 each day, you will have the opportunity to explore layering color, creating collage papers, innovative transfers techniques with experimental media supplied by Golden Artists Colors, Art Alternative Gallery Wrapped Canvas, and Ampersand Clayboards. All of these are supplies are free to the students. During the course of this workshop you will create a unique mixed media image. You will explore and make:
- Your own hand made and altered papers.
- The manipulation and alteration of surfaces with various media.
- The alteration of stretched canvas panels, and using found substrate, to create unique collage surfaces.
- Alternative ways to finish your work for hanging and display.
Artists will be encouraged to explore their own unique direction and each will receive individual critiques of their work. There will be a class critique on the final day of the workshop. Mary Alice’s workshops create an atmosphere where exciting alternative strategies are explored. Because this is a three-day workshop it is important that you take each day. The work builds, one day to the next.
Various art supply companies provide many of the materials needed for this class. You will be provided with:
- ART ALTERNATIVE: One Gallery Wrapped Canvas
- GOLDEN ARTISTS PAINTS: Textured and non-textured gels and mediums
- AMPERSAND CLAYBOARD
- M GRAHAM: Gouaches and Heavy Body Acrylics in various colors
- Drinks and snacks will be provided.
You need to bring:
- 1 piece of a support board that you can move pieces into a drying area.
- Paints: Please bring Golden Fluid Paints only. Suggested colors: Fluid Acrylic Colors - 4 oz. #1.Transparent Red Oxide, Raw Umber, Carbon Black, Indian Yellow Hue, or #2. Ultra-Marine Blue, Turquois (Phthalo), Titan Buff, Carbon Black, Raw Umber or #3. Transparent Pyrrole Orange, Napthol Red Light, Carbon Black, Raw Umber You are not being asked to buy all of these - only one set of colors (#1 or #2 or #3) - your choice. (Also consider ANALAGOUS COLORS and a CONTRASTING COLORS)
- Brushes: A few of your own (flats), and then pick up some inexpensive/disposable ones for gluing. You will also need sponge brushes, which can be purchased inexpensively from dollar stores.
- Cutting tools: Scissors, single edge razor blade or any cutting tool which allows you to do control cutting and cut cardboard. Water container, 2 good spray bottles – one that sprays regularly, the other with a fine spray.
- Tissue Paper: White or off white decorative or rice papers. NO COLORED TISSUE OR RICE PAPER.
- Watercolor pencils, crayons, water soluble pencils and crayons and pastels. Scrapers (old credit cards, paint shapers, small squeegees, etc.) Newspapers, magazines, findings – think collage and experimental.
- Many of these items you have in your studio. I do NOT expect you to purchase all of these we can share! If you have a DREMEL TOOL (battery operated) bring it - the instructor will have several.
COURSE FEE: $250 for members, $285 for non-members
CONTACT DONNA DAVIS WITH QUESTIONS AT: firstname.lastname@example.org
TO REGISTER FOR THIS WORKSHOP CONTACT CATHY SKEEN AT: email@example.com
BRING AN OPEN MIND, A BIG IMAGINATION & BE PREPARED TO EXPLORE YOUR ARTISTIC GOALS!
YOUTH ART CLASSES
We offer art SUMMER ART CLASSES to students ages 6-16! These classes are free through scholarship to any interested student. This series of classes will be held at the RED HOUSE STUDIOS & GALLERY on JULY 17, 19, 24 and 26 from 10:00-12:00. Students will learn mixed media drawing and painting techniques. Concepts about color, shape, texture and composition will be explored. Students will have a chance to create works of art with the use of pencils of all kinds, tempura, watercolor, and acrylic paints. The instructor is PAM GRANGER GALE, league member, professional artist and former elementary art school instructor. To be accepted and sign up for these free classes, the league asks that students send a letter indicating why they are interested in taking these classes. Send letter to: Pam Granger Gale, 15 Adamswood Road, Asheville, NC 28803 or email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
GENERAL MEETING & PROGRAMS
A GENERAL MEETING with a PROGRAM is held on the 4TH MONDAY OF EACH MONTH.
PROGRAM begins at 10:00 at THE RED HOUSE
NEXT MEETING: AUGUST 28th
General announcements will followed by the video taken during the jurying of the ANNUAL MEMBER's EXHIBIT. This opportunity to hear feedback on artwork is an annual tradition and part of the educational mandate of the league. We hope you will join us.
These meetings are open to the general membership. If you have an issue you want to bring to the boards’ attention, please contact our President, SUSAN HANNING at email@example.com. Minutes from the board meetings are available for members in the library at THE RED HOUSE, along with the bylaws.
NEXT MEETING: AUGUST 21st at 10:00
GALLERY COMMITTEE MEETING
These meetings concerning the league galleries and exhibitions are open to the general membership, and new suggestions and ideas are welcome! If you have an issue you want to bring to the committee's attention, please contact MARSHA SPRINGS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEXT MEETING: AUGUST 14th at 9:30